For our partner, a fast growing company with multiple software and infrastructure projects running in parallel, with great teams situated in Romania, France, Switzerland, Spain and the UK we are looking for a professional IT Infrastructure Architect.
This role makes high-level design choices when creating and implementing new infrastructure. They work with the Enterprise and Software Architects, IT Security Manager, Developers and DevOps to ensure that new systems are highly available, performant and secure.
As the Infrastructure Architect, you will be responsible for all of their infrastructure, both on premise and cloud based.
- Project Work:
- As part of the Architecture Team, designing the infrastructure, applications and software components
- As part of the Infrastructure / Operations team, discussing and agreeing the best way of implementing each of the components.
- Product Ownership for Infrastructure-only projects
- Ensuring that this is tested and documented and reviewed prior to release to production.
- Limit choices available during creation of the system by:
o Using standard methodologies to create the component – for instance using a Configuration Management Automation system to automate setup of the component.
o Ensuring that the implementer follows existing policies and procedures
o Where required, prototyping the application setup before handing it over to the team for implementation.
- Monitoring projects as they progress to ensure that the implementation best serves business needs
- Recognize potential reuse in the company or in the application by:
Observing and understanding the broader system environment.
Creating the component design.
Having knowledge of other systems and applications in the company
2. Technical Leadership:
- Review the current status of our infrastructure. Actively look for issues with it, and for solutions to those issues
- Take ownership of the infrastructure, capacity planning, availability, performance and security
- Keep up to date with emerging technologies. Ensure that what is selected is pragmatic, and is not new for the sake of it.
3. Action Leadership:
- Lead by example to the rest of the infrastructure team and company
- Agree technical standards, including technical procedures, tools or platforms with the rest of the teams, and then publicise and enforce usage of these standards.
- Ensure that you follow and promote the full project lifecycle detailed in the Definition of Done – planning, communication, execution, time logging, task updates, documentation and handover. Be the person who drives this with the rest of the Infrastructure Team, and impress upon them the importance of being a good colleague in a fast moving company where we wish to keep useless communication to a minimum.
- Mentor members of the DevOps team
- Ensure that your project and time management skills are exemplary
- Understand the functions of each component within the application
- Understand the interactions and dependencies among components, and communicate these concepts to the infrastructure / operations team
Desired Skills & Experience:
- Bachelor degree and 5 years’ experience in Linux server administration or 7+ years’ experience in Linux server administration without a degree;
- Experience of working with Agile methodologies – i.e. Lean
- Solid experience with Linux, and related technologies
- Automation Experience and mindset – for instance using Vagrant, Ansible, Salt Stack, Terraform
- Experience with best practices in web application security
- Experience configuring monitoring software.
- Experience with server virtualization (Preferably Xen Server).
- Experience with cloud infrastructure (Preferably AWS)
- Experience working in a high-availability environment – preferably an e-commerce website.
- The ability to clearly communicate and discuss technical requirements with DevOps Engineers and Developers by (for instance) using design patterns, examples.
- A logical and thorough approach to designing and implementing systems
- A thorough understanding of architectural design principles.
- The ability to translate non-technical business requirements into technical language
- In-depth technical knowledge of securing and hardening network and platform operating systems.
- Familiar with network routing, switching, TCP/IP addressing design and troubleshooting.
- A friendly, approachable manner.